Making Infused Almond Milk For Canna-Patients
Making infused almond milk for canna-patients creates a versatile base ingredient that can be used in an assortment of recipes, or it can be enjoyed alone.
However, it is important to note that the higher the fat content in the milk you use, the more effective the THC activation will be in your end product.
Things to Prep Ahead of Time
Before you begin this recipe, you’ll need to do three things:
- Prepare ahead by adding filtered water to 1 cup of almonds (add just enough water to cover the almonds by an inch). Let them soak overnight or for at least eight hours then discard the water and peel the skins off.
Before You Begin
Before you begin: If you are infusing your recipe, you’ll need to decide if you want to use hemp flower for more CBD effects or cannabis flower for more THC effects during decarboxylation.
No worries, as in all infused recipes, you can use either of them or a bit of both if it suits you!
A Note On Decarboxylation
Although raw cannabinoids have their own valuable medicinal qualities, without decarbing the flower or plant material for the infusion, cannabinoids (like THCA, and CBDA) will likely remain in their inactive acid states.
When infusing recipes, you may want to take the extra step of decarboxylation first, especially if you want the activated form of CBD or (the psychoactive effects) of your THC meds to be present.
Note: You can skip the decarboxylation process if you only want the raw cannabinoid benefits without THC/CBD activation.
How to Make Cannabis-Infused Almond Milk
- 1/2oz to 1oz decarbed cannabis or hemp flower
- 4 cups of filtered water
- 1 cup soaked and peeled almonds
- 1 tsp vanilla bean powder
- 1 pinch of sea salt
- 3 pitted dates (optional for sweetness)
For Those Following Ayurveda:
Vata and Pitta types can add in 1 tablespoon of maple syrup or 2 soaked dates for added sweetness.
Kapha and Vata types can add in 1 tablespoon of honey for added sweetness.
How To Prepare:
After preparing your almonds the night before, and decarboxylating your cannabis/hemp, you’re ready to go!
- First, drain your almonds.
- Then add pitted dates, (or sweeten according to your dosha) 1 teaspoon of vanilla bean powder, a pinch of sea salt, and 4 cups of filtered water to a blender.
- Blend on high until smooth, *some almond pulp will remain.
- Use cheesecloth or a nut milk bag to strain the milk out.
- Next, add the strained milk and the ground decarbed cannabis to a saucepan, bringing it to a gentle simmer on the lowest setting for about 45 minutes, stirring frequently. (watch carefully so as not to burn your milk)
- Remove from heat and strain to remove the ground cannabis and allow to cool.
- Place in a glass container with a lid.
Enjoy the fresh drink straight or use it as a milk replacement in your favorite medicinal recipes! Your newly infused almond milk can keep for up to four days if refrigerated.