A Recipe To Make Cannabis-Infused Coconut Oil
This easy cannabis-infused coconut oil recipe has endless uses for patients once it is prepared. It can also be prepared with hemp flower to make a CBD-rich oil instead.
It’s beneficial as a base ingredient for skin and hair care or in food recipes and healthy smoothies.
That’s because coconut oil is a rich source of medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) and a good source of antioxidants which provide anti-inflammatory, anti-diabetic, and brain-protective effects.
It may be less ideal for salad dressings or sauces due to the fact that it’s semi-solid at room temperature, but an excellent choice for stove-top cooking or baking.
Here are several cooking ideas:
- Sautéing or stir-frying: Use 1–2 tablespoons of this oil to cook vegetables, eggs, meat, or fish.
- Baking: Use it in your baked sweets, or to coat poultry or meat before rubbing it with seasonings.
- Conversions: It can be substituted for oil or butter in a 1:1 ratio in most recipes.
For Those Following Ayurveda: Coconut oil is great for balancing Vata and Pitta dosha but aggravates Kapha.
Below is a simple recipe for making your infused coconut oil. There are many other methods out there, this is just one way to go.
- 7g – 1 oz ground and decarboxylated Cannabis or Hemp flower
- 1 – 2 Cup Coconut Oil (organic is recommended)
*These measurements are only a suggested guide. Please customize any recipe to use more or less plant material to suit your personal medicinal needs.
A Note On Decarboxylation
Although raw cannabinoids have their own valuable medicinal qualities, without decarbing the flower or plant material for the infusion, cannabinoids (like THCA, and CBDA) will likely remain in their inactive acid states.
When infusing recipes, you may want to take the extra step of decarboxylation first, especially if you want the activated form of CBD or (the psychoactive effects) of your THC meds to be present.
Note: You can skip the decarboxylation process if you only want the raw cannabinoid benefits without THC/CBD activation.
How To Prepare:
- Gently simmer water in a large pot.
*A crock pot is a nice alternative
- Add coconut oil and decarbed cannabis/hemp to a glass or metal bowl/mason jar placed on top of the water in the pot or crock pot.
- Simmer for 3-4 hrs, refill water as necessary.
- Allow to cool and strain the oil into a glass jar & seal with a lid.
(cheesecloth works well)
- Leftover material can be used to make a medicated smoothie, tea, coffee, etc… or it can be discarded.